The formal process for the Calcasieu Parish Police Jury’s Annual Budget begins in September for the following Jan. 1. Departments submit the following information, as applicable:
- Projections of current year operations – revenues and expenditures.
- Trends, initiatives, and factors influencing each department’s budget.
- Successes, accomplishments, goals and objectives for the coming year.
- Revenue and expenditure estimates, recommendations and proposals with detailed supporting documentation.
- Summary of projected capital outlay needs.
- Additional information, as applicable.
The preceding information is then the subject of a series of reviews involving the Parish Administration Department, the Finance Department and respective department and division directors. Based on these reviews, a recommended Operating and Capital Budget is developed. The recommended budget is presented to the Calcasieu Parish Budget Committee at the Annual Budget Meeting in November. Budget proposals, including all expenditures and revenues, are then reviewed by the Budget Committee.
A final budget public hearing is held in early December giving residents opportunity to comment on the budget. Following the public hearing, the Budget Committee makes its recommendations regarding the budget. The Budget Committee presents those recommendations to the Police Jury at the next regular Police Jury Meeting, and they vote to formally adopt the budget. The newly adopted budget becomes effective Jan. 1 of the following year.
Below is Parish Administrator Bryan Beam's annual budget presentation at the Nov. 16, 2019 Budget Committee meeting: