Adopting an animal is a long-term commitment. The Calcasieu Parish Department of Animal Services strives to provide the best care and attention to ensure that a shelter pet will have a long, sustaining life with their new family. In order for this to happen, the adoption fee you pay includes the services listed below that your future pet will receive in advance of leaving the shelter:
- Health check
- Series of vaccinations
- Canine Heartworm test (for dogs 6 months or older)
- Rabies vaccination, parish license tag & certificate at the appropriate age (3 months or older)
You will also receive the following items when the adoption takes place:
- Coupon for spay or neuter surgery at the appropriate age or surgery before going into new home
- Animal Care Kit (includes info. on care giving and obedience training basics)
- All animals adopted from the Animal Shelter in Calcasieu Parish MUST BE SPAYED/NEUTERED.
- NO animals adopted from the Animal Shelter may be sold, given away or abandoned. If you no longer wish to keep your adopted animal, it must be returned to the Shelter as stated in the Adoption Agreement.